Bastrop ISD supports the use of social media by its campuses and staff as a way to facilitate communication. Bastrop ISD strongly encourages campus news contacts, faculty, or administrators to submit campus news to the Communications Department, so that it may be posted on the BISD Facebook, Twitter, YouTube page, BISD mobile app, the BISD website, or School Messenger. The following policy serves as a guideline for those initiating a social media feed for their department, classroom, campus, athletic team, or organization.
General Guidelines for District Accounts
● All Bastrop ISD online social media, current and future, shall be authorized via online application.
● Social media behavior should reflect the same standards of what is published in the current BISD Employee Handbook and Resposible Use Policy.
● Any existing sites or pages that represent Bastrop ISD are subject to review by campus and department administrators and may be amended or, when necessary, removed.
● Use of District logos must be requested and have the approval of the BISD Executive Director of Communications.
● Bastrop ISD does not pre-screen posted content, but it shall have the right to remove, in its sole discretion, any content that it considers to violate this policy or the District's Responsible Use Policy. The District does not endorse or take responsibility for content posted by third parties.
● Content that is illegal, obscene, pornographic, defamatory, threatening, infringing of intellectual property rights, invasive of privacy, profane, libelous, threatening, harassing, abusive, hateful or embarrassing to any person or entity, inhospitable to a reasonable work environment, or otherwise injurious or objectionable is unacceptable and shall be removed.
● Be sure to include a disclaimer stating that the information is representative of your views and opinions, and not necessarily the views and opinions of Bastrop ISD.
● Ensure that online content associated with the social media account is consistently updated with your work at Bastrop ISD. Dormant accounts will be removed.
● FERPA prohibits the release of private student information such as grades, discipline, attendance and test scores.
● Do not post an image/video/name of students whose parent has declined the Media Release form in Skyward.
● Respect copyright and fair use guidelines. See U.S. Copyright Office - Fair Use.