Bastrop ISD provides workers’ compensation benefits to employees who are injured at work. This benefit will cover only a work-related injury or illness, not other medical problems. Once a claim is reported and accepted by the HR Department, your workers’ compensation benefits begin. This is the only medical benefit you may use for treatment of your specific claim/injury, including medical examinations and medications. Process for Workers’ Compensation Claims:
If you are injured at work, think the injury was caused by work, or a doctor tells you the injury/illness is work-related, the following steps must be taken:
1. You must immediately report the incident to your supervisor (e.g., principal, director, manager, or coordinator).
2. Your Supervisor needs to complete an accident report with specific information and fax to 512-308-9501 in the attention of Marsha Goertz as soon as possible.
3. Your Supervisor will send you to the appropriate medical facility depending on your incident. In the event of an emergency, the employee may choose any hospital of choice. If the incident is minor, you can try to seek medical attention from your campus Nurse, Dr. Sammy Lerma (located on Church Street) or Fastmed Urgent Care (located by Lowes). These clinics are on walk in basis and do not require an appointment. Please let the front desk know that you are there on a Workers’ Comp incident and are employed with Bastrop ISD. These facilities will notify us to get further information if needed.
4. The HR Department will submit your incident report with TASB Risk Management and an adjuster will notify you. Once an adjuster talks with you, a treatment plan may be developed. It may be as simple as first aid, or ice and over-the-counter pain or anti-inflammatory medication. However, immediate medical care may be necessary.
5. It is your responsibility to stay in touch with your manager and/or supervisor during your absence. The workers’ compensation staff does not call in any absences for work-related injuries.
6. According to the Texas Division of Workers’ Compensation DWC law, Bastrop ISD does not pay injured workers for the first seven days off work. In the event that you need to be absent from work during this time due to injury, you must use your paid sick leave.
If you have questions, please call the Benefits Manager, Marsha Goertz at 512-772-7135 or firstname.lastname@example.org.