Great things are "summing"!
This month in math, we are learning strategies for addition and subtraction up to 20. Students will be able to :
- automatically add and subtract facts equalling up to 20
- solve problems with missing addends/minuends
- determine which strategy they would use to solve a problem and tell why
- write an original story problem for a number sentence given
- Identify, sort and classify 2D and 3D shapes.
Our Rockin' Reader's Workshop!
Reader's Workshop is always my favorite part of the day! I love watching young readers blossom. I am sure we will have MANY great adventures in reading this year!
This month in reading, we will be
- determining our purpose for reading a story,
- determining the author's purpose for writing a story
- describing story elements (character,setting ,problem, solution, beginning,middle,end)
- describe the elements of non fiction texts
- establish a purposr for reading
- read on a level G or higher
Please make sure that your child reads all of the books, passages and words in their take home book bag each night and brings them back to school each day.
Please do not write in the color-soft bound readers. These books will be assigned to your child and will need to be replaced if they are lost or damaged.
Students are welcomed to (encouraged to) write in and color any black and white paper books that they are given. (Reading A to Z books)
The Author's Chair
Our Writer's Workshop Works!
getting ideas on paper
publishing to make our writing look neat and clean
writing complete sentences
using correct punctiation
capitalizting proper nouns
Great Things are S.T.E.M.'ing
This month in Science we are learning