Genesis High School Nurse
The Genesis High School nurse is Tanya Coleman, RN. She can be reached by phone at 512-772-7249 or email email@example.com.
In order to administer medication to your child, we must have:
- Your signed permission
- All medication must be in the labeled original container
- For a medication that needs to be taken at home and at school, ask your pharmacist to fix two bottles for you so that you may leave one at school
Students may not carry their own medication. Parents must deliver and pick up.
Head Lice (all grade levels)
BISD policy: Head lice, although not an illness or a disease, is very common among children and is spread very easily through head-to-head contact during play, sports, or nap time, and when children share things like brushes, combs, hats, and headphones. If careful observation indicates that a student has head lice, the school nurse will contact the student’s parent to determine whether the student will need to be picked up from school and to discuss a plan for treatment with and FDA-approved medicated shampoo or cream rinse that may be purchased from any drug or grocery store. After the student has undergone one treatment, the parent should check in with the school nurse to discuss the treatment used. The nurse can also offer additional recommendations, including subsequent treatments and how best to get rid of lice and prevent their return.
Notice will also be provided to parents of elementary school students in the affected classroom.
Vision and Hearing Screenings
If your child has failed their vision screening it is recommended that you seek a professional exam with an optometrist for your child. A limited number of vouchers are available for those students who may qualify. Please contact me directly at the number listed above for more information.
Health Status of Student
A student may be sent home because of a health need, such as:
- Appears ill and is unable to do class work
- Is suspected of having a contagious disease/condition (If your child comes to school with pink appearing eyes or an undiagnosed rash, they will probably be sent home.)
- Sustains an injury which needs medical attention or close observation
- Vomiting or diarrhea (may not return till free of symptoms 24 hours without the use of medication)
- Has a fever of 100.0 degrees or greater (may not return till free of fever 24 hours without the use of medication)
All students must have an electronic health authorization and information form completed in the student’s skyward record upon enrollment annually. The student’s record should be kept current and accurate. Parents are to notify the nurse of any major changes, illness, accident or surgery.