Bastrop Middle School Nurse
Our school nurse can be reached by phone at 512-772-7415.
In order to administer medication to your child, we must have:
- Your signed permission
- All medication must be in the labeled original container
- For a medication that needs to be taken at home and at school, ask your pharmacist to fix two bottles for you so that you may leave one at school
Students may not carry their own medication. Parents must deliver and pick up.
The Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) requires all students entering the 7th grade to receive the following immunizations prior to beginning the upcoming school year.
*Varicella Vaccine: All students entering the 7th grade will be required to have 2 doses of varicella vaccine. A written statement from a parent/ legal guardian, or physician attesting to a child’s positive history of varicella disease (chickenpox), or of varicella immunity, is acceptable in lieu of either dose of varicella vaccine.
*Tetanus, Diphtheria and acellular pertussis-containing vaccine (Tdap): All students entering the seventh grade will be required to have one dose of Tdap vaccine. Students in the seventh grade will be required to have a booster dose of Tdap only if it has been five years since their last dose of a tetanus-containing vaccine. Td is acceptable in lieu of Tdap if a contraindication to pertussis exists.
*Meningococcal Vaccine: All students entering 7th grade will be required to have one dose of meningococcal vaccine.
If your child has a primary care doctor please contact them to set up an appointment for your child to be immunized.
*ALL 7th-grade and NEW 8th grade students will have vision, hearing and acanthosis Nigricans screening.
*ALL 8th-grade students will have scoliosis screening.
*A note from your physician is needed to exempt your student from the screening. If screenings are done at your physician's office, results may be submitted to the nurse instead of having school screenings.
Reasons your child should stay at home
- Fever of 100.0* or more: keep your child home for 24 hours after the temperature returns to normal (98.6*) without medication.
- Vomiting / Diarrhea: keep home until 24 hours after the last episode.
- Rash: if the cause is unknown, please check with your physician before sending the student to school.
- Red / Pink Eyes: keep child at home; please check with your physician before sending the student to school.