Media Inquiry Guidelines
Bastrop ISD values open and transparent communication and partnership with our local media outlets. We will make an effort to work together to ensure a positive and successful outcome. Bastrop ISD is a closed district, however. Media is not allowed on our campuses or in our buildings without an authorization from or the presence of the Associate Superintendent of Communications & Community Relations.
All media inquiries must go through the Communications & Community Relations Department. Calling administrators or campuses directly will delay the transmission of information you or your reporters need to do their job. You may contact our office at (512) 772-7143 or (512) 772-7100 (district main #). Please call as early in the school day as possible with all inquiries. Coordination with campuses is necessary to accommodate media in our schools. We will make every effort to work with you to complete your story or meet your deadline.
Our campus hours are:
- Elementary/Intermediate -- 7:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Middle -- 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- High School -- 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
We do not generally allow spontaneous interviews with students, staff or parents. If you need student or staff film, contact the Communications & Community Relations Department to arrange it. Parent interviews can be obtained from any public place OTHER than a Bastrop ISD campus. We do this for two reasons:
- Media on campus can be a distraction to staff and students that disrupts the function of our educational process. Bastrop ISD Communications will work with any media partner to get you what you need without causing that distraction.
- We are required, by law, to ensure any child interviewed OR photographed by outside media has a current media authorization. This is for their safety.
These guidelines extend to school buses or other forms of district transportation. Even though a Bastrop ISD bus or vehicle may not be located on our campus, media is not allowed to board a bus or vehicle to talk with students, staff or parents without prior authorization.