The Bastrop ISD Communications Office oversees elections concerning school board members, bonds, tax rates and other measures that fall under the District's jurisdiction, in cooperation and/or contract with the Bastrop County Elections Office. Important documents related to school board candidacy and elections are located at the bottom of this page.
If you have any questions related to school board candidacy or other elections, you may visit the Bastrop ISD district office at 906 Farm Street in Bastrop, TX, call the Communications Office at (512) 772-7100, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Order of Election May 6 2023 / Orden de Elección 6 de mayo 2023
Notice of General Election May 6, 2023 / Aviso de Elección General 6 de mayo 2023
Order Calling School Building Bond Election (English) May 6, 2023
Orden Para Convocar Una Elección de Bonos de Edificios Escolares 6 de mayo 2023
Notice of School Building Bond Election (English) May 6, 2023
Aviso de Elección de Bonos 6 de mayo 2023
Board of Trustee Elections
There are seven members of the Bastrop ISD Board of Trustees, each elected at-large to serve staggered three-year terms. The terms of one-third of the trustees, or as near to one-third as possible, expire each year. Education Code 11.051(b), 11.059. Board members shall be elected for three-year terms with elections held each year in May, as indicated below. The terms and expirations are as follows:
Places 3 and 4 expire in 2023
Places 1 and 2 expire in 2024
Places 5, 6 and 7 expire in 2025
Candidate information for elections may be available at Bastrop Votes, an initiative of the Bastrop Chamber of Commerce. The Bastrop Votes site is an external site and not controlled by Bastrop ISD.
View Important Dates for the May 6, 2023 Election
Notice of Deadline to File an Application for Place on the Ballot
Candidate Applications for May 6 2023 School Board Election
Requirements and Qualifications (Board Policy BBA(LEGAL)
An application for a place on the ballot must be in writing; signed, sworn to by the candidate before a person authorized to administer an oath, and dated; timely filed with the Bastrop ISD Executive Director of Communications & Community Relations or designee, and contain specific information about the candidate:
- Candidate's name, date of birth, and occupation;
- Candidate's residence address or the address at which the candidate receives mail with a description of the location of the candidate's residence;
- Candidate's length of continuous residence in Texas and in the district as of the date the candidate swears to the application;
- Public mailing address and email address at which the candidate receives correspondence relating to the candidate's campaign, if available;
- Office sought, including any place or other distinguishing number and an indication of whether the office sought is for a full or unexpired term;
- Statements that the candidate is a U.S. citizen; have not been determined by a court to be mentally incapacitated; has not been convicted of a felony; is aware of the nepotism law, and swears an oath to support and defend the U.S. and Texas Constitutions and laws.
To be eligible to be a candidate for, or elected or appointed to, the office of School Board Trustee, a person must be a qualified voter and:
- Be a United States citizen.
- Be 18 years of age or older on the first day of the term to be filled at the election or on the date of appointment, as applicable.
- Have not been determined mentally incapacitated or partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction.
- Have not been finally convicted of a felony.
- Have resided continuously in the state for 12 months and in the territory from which the office is elected for six months immediately preceding the date of the regular filing deadline (for an independent candidate), the date of the election at which the candidate's name is written in (for a write-in candidate), or the date the appointment is made (for an appointee).
- Be a registered voter in the territory from which the office is elected.
- Take the official oath of office.
- Serve without compensation.
A person is ineligible to serve on a school board if the person has been convicted of a felony or an offense under Texas Penal Code 43.02(b) regarding prostitution.
Candidate’s Residency Term
Prefiled Candidacy: An individual seeking election to the office of Trustee by having his or her name placed on the ballot must have been a resident of the state for 12 months, and a resident of the District for six months, prior to the last date on which the candidate could file to be listed on the ballot.
Write-In Candidacy: An individual seeking election to the office of Trustee by write-in vote must have been a resident of the state for 12 months, and a resident of the District for six months, prior to the day of the election.
Appointment to Office
An individual appointed to the office of Trustee must have been a resident of the state for 12 months, and a resident of the District for six months, prior to the day on which the appointment is made. Election Code 141.001(a)(5)
“Residence” shall mean domicile, one’s home and fixed place of habitation to which one intends to return after any temporary absence; one does not lose one’s residence status by leaving to go to another place for temporary purposes only. A person does not acquire a residence in a place to which the person has come for temporary purposes only and without the intention of making that place the person’s home. Residence shall be determined in accordance with the common-law rules, as enunciated by the courts of this state, except as otherwise provided by the Election Code. Election Code 1.015
Policy BBB regarding elections
Application for a Place on the Ballot for General Election
Campaign Finance Report - Instructions
Appointment of a Campaign Treasurer
Appointment of a Campaign Treasurer- Instructions
Campaign Finance Report- Instructions
Code of Fair Campaign Practices
Prohibition Against Using Political Subdivision Resources
Political Advertising- What you need to know