Supporting BISD’s school children’s academic success & wellness
Bastrop ISD has a nurse at every campus. In addition, our school nurses (RN) and campus nurses (LVN) use a team approach in which an RN and LVN work together to provide health-related services at schools. Additionally, our model includes a school health assistant (CNA), who works with the nurses. Our health services staff is supported by a nurse supervisor (head nurse) and a medical director.
Our mission is to ensure the safety and well-being of each student during the school day and during school activities.
Services provided by campus nurses:
If you have a child that requires assistance please contact the nurse on your student's campus to develop a plan for his/her special medical condition.
- Management and Care of the Whole Child
- Parent Education Individualized to the student
- Health & Wellness Education
- Annual Mandated Health Screenings Vision/Hearing/Scoliosis Screenings
- Texas Risk Assessment for Type 2 Diabetes in Children (formerly known as Acanthosis Nigercans) Screenings
- Immunization Record Screening
- Staff –Specific Training:
- Bloodborne pathogens
- Emergency treatment for Anaphylaxis, Allergies & Asthma
- CPR & First Aid Training
- Epi-Pen Awareness Training & 1:1 Individualized Training
- Unlicensed Diabetic Care Management (UDCA)
In order to administer medication to your child, we must have:
- Your signed permission
- All medication must be in the labeled original container
- For a medication that needs to be taken at home and at school, ask your pharmacist to fix two bottles for you so that you may leave one at school (children do forget to pick up medication to take home.)