Work Based Learning Opportunities
Interested in partnering with Bastrop ISD?
We feel strongly that partnering with community, business, and municipal leadership is highly beneficial in the development of our youth, our organizations, and our community.
We can't wait to partner with you! In the survey linked above you will let us know who you are, what you're interested in learning more about, and how to contact you. BISD work-based learning leadership will reach out to further the conversation . As a preview of what's currently available, here is a brief introduction to our programming. Check back in with this page to see how our programs are evolving and invite others to join you as a BISD industry partner.
BISD's Career and Technical Education (CTE) department is running programs that aim to build students' career readiness skills and awareness. In the district, we call these "work-based learning" opportunities. In brief, they are:
1) 1:1 Student Mentoring - 6 hour commitment over 6 weeks. Mentors develop relationships with students virtually or in person and follow a guided program that supports skills development, career awareness and future planning. Mentoring happens twice each year, once in fall and once in early spring. Signing up as a career mentor happens here: bisdtx.org/careermentor
2) Job Shadow Day - one-day commitment. 2-4 hours at your place of work hosting students interested in working in related industries; BISD will work with interested businesses to determine group sizes and timing.
3) Internships - currently scheduled to happen during the summer, these can be paid or unpaid experiences where students get authentic exposure to high-quality work environments. The flyer for this program is here - and the link to register as an internship host is here: bit.ly/bisdintern
4) Guest speakers - professionals visiting campuses to speak in classrooms or to larger groups about the industry they work in.
5) Youth Career Days - held throughout the school year. These events bring together members from across our business community to build bridges and awareness with students of all ages. This spring, YCD events will be held on March 9th and April 26th.