Work Related Injuries (Worker's Compensation)
Bastrop ISD provides workers’ compensation benefits to employees who are injured at work. This benefit will cover only a work-related injury or illness, not other medical problems. Once a claim is reported and accepted by the HR Department, your workers’ compensation benefits begin. This is the only medical benefit you may use for the treatment of your specific claim/injury, including medical examinations and medications.
Process for Workers’ Compensation Claims:
If you are injured at work, think the injury was caused by work, or a doctor tells you the injury/illness is work-related, the following steps must be taken:
- You must immediately report the incident to your supervisor (e.g., principal, director, manager, or coordinator).
- Your Supervisor needs to complete an accident report with specific information and fax it to 512-308-9501 in the attention of Marsha Goertz as soon as possible.
- Your Supervisor will send you to the appropriate medical facility depending on your incident. In the event of an emergency, the employee may choose any hospital of choice. If the incident is minor, you can try to seek medical attention from your campus Nurse, Dr. Sammy Lerma (located on Church Street) or Fastmed Urgent Care (located by Lowes). These clinics are on walk-in basis and do not require an appointment. Please let the front desk know that you are there on a Workers’ Comp incident and are employed with Bastrop ISD. These facilities will notify us to get further information if needed.
- The HR Department will submit your incident report with TASB Risk Management and an adjuster will notify you. Once an adjuster talks with you, a treatment plan may be developed. It may be as simple as first aid, or ice and over-the-counter pain or anti-inflammatory medication. However, immediate medical care may be necessary.
- It is your responsibility to stay in touch with your manager and/or supervisor during your absence. The workers’ compensation staff does not call in any absences for work-related injuries.
- According to the Texas Division of Workers’ Compensation DWC law, Bastrop ISD does not pay injured workers for the first seven days off work. In the event that you need to be absent from work during this time due to injury, you must use your paid sick leave.
If you have questions, please call the Benefits Manager, Stephanie Davis at 512-772-7135 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Filing a First Report Injury Claim
Below is information that must be provided to the employee when they suffer a work-related injury. The reporting process has changed and either the employee, campus/dept admin, nurse or secretary must enter the incident online to start the claims process. There are no longer paper forms to fill out.
- ALLY and/or FastAid Urgent Care ARE NOT APPROVED FACILITIES. EMPLOYEES SHOULD NOT SEEK TREATMENT FROM EITHER FACILITY AT THIS TIME. VISITS TO THESE FACILITIES WILL NOT BE COVERED BY TASB.
- PLEASE PRINT THE ENTIRE PACKET BELOW. THE INJURED EMPLOYEE WILL NEED TO TAKE SOME OF IT WITH THEM IF THEY SEEK MEDICAL TREATMENT AND THEN FOLLOW THE DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS FOR ENTERING THE INJURY. (It looks complicated, but once you get started you'll see that it's pretty simple. Just follow the instructions that start on page 7 of the document as you are entering the information.)
Once the claim has been entered the employee should expect a call within 24-36 hours from a TASB Adjuster regarding their injury, it is important that they take this call. TASB (Texas Association of School Boards) represents Bastrop ISD and will be the first point of contact for any questions or concerns they may have regarding the treatment or the injury itself.
- COMPLETE THE TASB FIRST REPORT OF INJURY (FROI) ONLINE AT tasbrmf.org/claims. (YOU DO NOT NEED AN ACCOUNT TO FILE THE CLAIM, JUST CLICK ON THE RED "REPORT A WC CLAIM" BUTTON ON THE TASB WEBPAGE.)